Step One

Aged Care Assessment with My Aged Care

Contact My Aged Care to organise an Aged Care Assessment. This is to assess your eligibility and is mandatory for anyone entering an aged care facility.

Aged Care Assessment Teams (ACATs) cover all of Australia and are based in hospitals or in the local community. A member of ACAT will talk to you about your current situation and help you work out what your options are.

To find your local ACAT and to register your details with MyAged Care call 1800 200 422 or visit With your consent a friend or family member is able to assist with this process.

Once you have registered:

  • A member of your local ACAT (usually a doctor, nurse, social worker or other health care professional) will make a time to come to your home (or the hospital, if you’re currently in hospital) and talk to you about how well you are managing day-to-day.
  • Once you have completed the ACAT assessment, you will receive a letter to let you know if you have been approved as eligible for Australian Government subsidised aged care services. Your letter will tell you what type of services you are eligible for and approved to receive, as well as the reasons why.
  • You should keep a copy of your letter because you will need to show this record to organisations to confirm that you are eligible to receive Australian Government subsidised aged care services.

Step Two

Find the right Aged Care Home

Once you receive your Aged Care Assessment letter with the services you’re eligible for, you’re ready to look for an aged care home.

The best way to find a place that suits you is to visit a few different homes. Each home is different, so visiting them will help you to find out what you can expect.

My Aged Care has a handy Aged Care Home Finder to locate facilities in your area. Alternatively you can contact NoosaCare directly at either Carramar or Kabara.

We are happy to provide further information about our boutique aged care living. Our Client Services Officer will arrange a tour of the facility, answer any questions, around your specific requirements.

To book a tour please contact Carramar on 5449 8799 or Kabara on 5447 7355 to arrange an appointment.

Step Three

Organise Finances

There are four types of fees which maybe payable;

Accommodation FeeThis is for your accommodation at NoosaCare. Some people will have their accommodation costs met in full or part by the Australian Government, while others will need to pay the accommodation price agreed with the aged care home. Centrelink will advise you which applies to you based on an assessment of your income and assets. If you are elible to pay for your accommodation you can choose to pay for your accommodation by:
  • A refundable deposit
  • Daily payments or
  • A combination of refundable deposit and daily payments
Basic Daily Care FeeThis covers living costs such as meals, power and laundry. For some people this is the only fee they are required to pay.
The Standard resident contribution is 85% of the basic age pension. This amount applies to all residents including respite residents.
Means Tested Care FeeThis is an additional contribution towards the cost of care that some people may be required to pay. The Department of Human Services (Centrelink) or Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) will work out if you are required to pay this fee based on an assessment of your income and assets, and will advise you of the amount. There is a maximum amount that your can be asked per annum and over the course of you lifetime, you can call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422* to help you estimate the fees and charges you may have to pay towards your residential aged care.
Additional or Extra Services FeeAdditional fees may apply if you choose a higher standard of accommodation or additional services. At NoosaCare these amounts vary from lodge to lodge. See our Accommodation pricing page for details or contact our Client Services Officer on 5449 8799

It is Very Important to Seek Financial Advice

1. We highly recommend you seek Independent Financial Advice from a professional who has a thorough understanding of Aged Care.
2. Organise a Financial Assessment

You should organise a financial assessment by submitting a Permanent Residential Aged Care Request for a Combined Assets and Income Assessment form (also known as a SA457) to Department of Human Services (DHS). Forms can be downloaded from the Department of Human Services website. Completed forms must be mailed directly to the Department of Human Services in Canberra. Don’t forget to take a copy for your records.

GIFTING. Have you gifted away any assets in the last 5 years? The DHA will take gifting of assets into account.

The DHS will review your submission (this will take approximately 4-6 weeks) and send you an income and assets assessment letter which will detail any costs you are required to contribute to your care and accommodation.

You will need to forward this letter to your preferred aged care provider.

Step Four

Apply for Residential Aged Care Accommodation

Choose an Aged Care facility that is right for you.

If you would like to make your new home at one of our facilities we encourage you to complete an application for admission form as soon as possible. When a bed becomes available the facility will contact you and arrange an appointment for an interview and inspect your new home.

NoosaCare will provide you with documentation and a Residential Aged Care Agreement to complete and return prior to entering as a permanent resident.

Step Five

Move into your New Home

Welcome to NoosaCare! We want to feel at home in your new residence so please contact us with information that you require.

We provide you with a checklist to ensure you have all bases covered so you can enjoy your beautiful new surrounding and lifestyle activities. Our diversional Therapy department runs daily bus trips and activities which a schedule of the months events, so you can be sure you wont miss out.

As a resident of NoosaCare you will be able to have a say in your living arrangements and NoosaCare in general. All residents are invited to join monthly residents meetings with the CEO and a Board Member to provide updates on current events and discuss any comments or concerns that you have.